Who do I call when I want to burn?

Burning Permits are Required for Town Residents

Burning permits are free and are valid for a period of two years. Permits are available by contacting any member of the Town Board or Town Clerk.

  • Permits allow the residents to have a recreational fire, burn brush, leaves, only clean untreated wood, clean paper products (such as cardboard) and vegetation.
  • Recycling and composting of these materials is strongly encouraged, with burning as your last alternative.
  • Burning of plastic, garbage, asphalt, treated and painted wood, rubber or oily substances is prohibited.
  • Don’t burn without fire-fighting tools handy and available and never leave your fire unattended.
  • Don’t burn if conditions are dry, the wind is stronger than 8 mph an hour or if the weather forecast indicates the wind will increase during the time you burn.

Call St. Croix County Dispatch (Non-Emergency) Before You Burn: (715) 246-6131

 By calling to register your burn, your address will be entered into the County’s system.  In the event that someone calls 911 to report your fire, they can prevent the Fire Department from responding to your address in error. If you don’t call Dispatch and the Fire Department is sent to your location, you will be responsible for all expenses–even if you have a valid permit.

Open burning is not a right, it is a privilege. Residents are liable for all expenses incurred in suppressing the fire and will be responsible for all damages caused by the fire.